Surviving the holidays on a student budget can be a challenge. There are presents to buy, parties to attend and numerous other activities and events you just don’t want to miss out on while you’re making the most of your time off. For most students, heading home for the first time in a while to spend quality time with friends and family usually leads to a little bit of extra spending and with a tight student budget, this can get stressful. Fortunately, there are many easy ways to save a little bit of money this holiday season without missing out on any of the fun!
- One great way to save money while still crossing everyone off your Christmas list is to suggest a gift exchange with your friends or family. This way, each person only has to purchase one gift and everyone ends up with something unique and awesome.
- Another way to make the most of your budget while still getting a friend or family member the perfect gift this holiday season is getting friends or siblings involved and splitting the cost amongst the group. If you have siblings, talk with them about getting your parents a gift that you all agree to split; this way your money will go a little further.
- Homemade gifts are another great money saving option and although they may seem challenging, there are an endless amount of ideas you can whip up with very few supplies. Whether you choose to knit, paint, or even just put together a quick card for that special someone, I guarantee they will appreciate all of the thought and effort that went into making them such a unique gift.
- If you bank account is in the red and crafts just aren’t your thing, remember that often times it is the time you get to spend with those you care about that is the most valuable. Suggest going for a walk or attending a local event to celebrate the holidays with your loved ones without spending a fortune. Is it the memories and experiences that we cherish most this time of year so be sure to set some time aside for those who matter most.
- If you are planning on getting together with family and friends over the holidays it is always a great idea to turn your holiday party into a potluck. If all of your guests bring something different to enjoy it makes for an enjoyable selection of food and also saves you the time and stress of catering a party.
Whatever your holiday traditions entail, I wish you all the very best of luck on your exams and a safe and happy holiday season!