‘Tis the season to be jolly! There always seems to be a lingering financial situation above every students head when they start to think about gift-giving during the holidays and it doesn’t need to be a stressful situation at all!
I like to think of myself as an avid DIY crafter and the holidays provide an opportunity to create some pretty neat things on a low-cost budget. I’ve compiled a list of things that I’ve tried or am going to try to make for loved ones and friends this holiday season.
- Make some homemade treats! In my house, baking something means that it’s gone in a blink of an eye. Kraft Canada has some great Christmas treat ideas. My favourite are gingerbread cheesecake bites.
- If you’re looking for a gift for a roommate or a friend, there are some cute DIY jewellery ideas such as tube bead necklace (http://thelovelydrawer.com/diy-neck-candy/) or you could make them a neat mug for their favourite hot beverage. There are some super cool fake marble mugs you can make with nail polish or sharpie mugs that you bake in the oven to make the design permanent. Here’s the link to the marble mugs (http://www.lifebuzz.com/diy-gifts/)
- For friends or family that enjoy gardening or could use some greenery in their lives, you could make them an indoor terrarium. I know my dorm room could use some cute plants!
- For mom or dad, you can make them customized tea towels using a rub-a-dub sharpie and printouts to trace onto the plain tea towels
(http://cherishedbliss.com/diy-tea-towels-love-coffee/). If that isn’t your thing, you might want to take a favourite photo and transfer it onto canvas or onto coasters. It’s real easy and doesn’t take much time other then drying. (http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/10/make-your-own-canvas-portrait.html)
- For that one person that likes to have people over and host parties all the time a really cute and simple idea is to create Dip Mix Ornaments. You can use the recipes provided or research some of their favourites and put them into cute glass or plastic ornaments and label them (http://cherishedbliss.com/diy-tea-towels-love-coffee/)
- For that special someone there are 2 unique ideas you could give a try. One is slightly more expensive but if you get creative it could also be a little less. The first is a deck of cards you turn into the reasons you love or like them, or admire them. My sister did this for my 18th birthday and it’s something I keep with me because it takes time to come up with 52 things. The second idea is a well-planned letter with 12 envelopes one for each month and inside them is money set aside to spend doing something or an activity to do each month together.
Hopefully this will get you on the right track to unique yet dollar sign say gifts for this holiday season. If not, I suggest using Pinterest to find some great ideas.
Have fun crafting and Happy Holidays!