Welcome to Nipissing! With September right around the corner, it is really exciting to welcome all of the first year students onto campus. Being a first year student is such a new and exciting experience and I hope you all enjoy being here as much as I have. As a 4th year Nipissing student, I thought I would share with you some of the things that helped make my first year at Nipissing University one of the best years of my life.
- Participate in Frosh Week! Frosh week is a great opportunity to meet new friends, get to know your way around Nipissing and see a lot of the great things North Bay has to offer.
- Join a Group or Club on Campus. There are so many cool and unique clubs and groups on campus to participate in. Finding one that interests you is a great opportunity to meet like-minded people, get involved and make the most of your time here!
- Talk to your Professors. Don’t be shy, if you are anything like me you will more than likely have a question or need a bit of extra help or advice so it is always a great idea to find your professor’s office and introduce yourself.
- Attend a Lakers Game. Nipissing has some terrific varsity athletes who love to see our students out supporting them. If you have an afternoon or evening off, I recommend checking out the athletic centre or website to see if you can catch a game.
- Go to Homecoming. It is one of the biggest parties of the year and it is a great opportunity to spend a day with your friends, get to know other students and celebrate what makes Nipissing the best the place to be!
- Get an Agenda…and use it! As you become more independent, it is really important to keep on top of things. Your parents and professors may not be around to remind you of the upcoming tests you need to study for or what time your classes are at. Stick your schedule on your bedroom wall or find a way to keep track of everything you have going on.
- Live in Residence, or at least spend some time there! Nipissing has some of the top-rated residences in Canada so there’s no question it is a great place to be. If you don’t plan on living in residence, you can still take advantage of some the events in residence to see what all of the hype is about.
- Hike to Duchesnay Falls. I would recommend hiking in the fall to see all of the beautiful colours but snowshoeing in the winter is another great way to experience the more than 20 kilometers of campus trails located directly behind the university.
- Call your parents. Don’t forget about the love and support of your family and friends back home. I try to always make time to give my parents, grandparents and friends a call to keep in touch and share my exciting experiences with them.
- Try something new! University is a great place to be adventurous. Trying new things can help you discover something that you never expected.
Whatever it is you end up doing this year, I wish you all the best and I hope you enjoy your first year at Nipissing as much as I did!
4th year Criminology student