While many individuals have just entered their first year at Nipissing University, I have entered my final year. As fun as that may sound to first years who are experiencing midterm stress for the first time, I am experiencing a whirlwind of emotions that I didn’t expect. In addition to writing papers, studying and reading, I am applying for my masters and coming to terms with the fact that at the end of this year, will be leaving Nipissing.
As someone who has been through many different challenges, I have compiled a number of different tips and tricks to survive your time at Nipissing. Hopefully these can help you get through the year a little more smoothly and leave you with some more wiggle room to have fun.
- Always always always pack mitts and a hat in your backpack between November and March. We’re entering that awkward phase where it seems warm when you head out for class, but I can guarantee you that at the end of those evening classes, you will appreciate those mitts.
- Catch the bus early (especially if you live at lower residence). The busses fill up incredibly fast, so plan to catch an earlier bus in case you cannot get onto the one right before your class starts. There’s nothing worse than a full bus driving right past your bus stop because they can’t fit anyone else on.
- Get to know your professors. If you’re like me and decide to apply for further education after you graduate from Nipissing, you’re going to want to get to know your profs. Good letters of reference revolve around your profs knowing who you are, seeing your work ethic, and knowing who you are as a person. If you’re on good terms, not only will it be easier to ask a professor for a reference, but the reference will probably turn out better.
- Make study groups. If you’re struggling with a concept, chances are others in your class are too. Make friends with people in your class and get together occasionally to work on those hard topics.
- Check your email every day. Often times professors, residence life staff, and others will send you important emails. For Nipissing staff, their main form of communication is through your nipissing emails. You could miss important information if you fail to check your email regularly.
- Find a balance. It may seem crazy given the time of year, but balance is possible. Make sure you take time for yourself, eat right, be active, and have fun. If you’re not finding a healthy balance, chances are you’re not at your best. Make sure you learn when it’s time to take a break, spend time with friends, or right that essay.
I wish you all the best of luck throughout this midterm season, and hope you are able to reach your full potential no matter what year you are in.