Ever wanted to write a novel but just felt like you didn’t have the time or motivation? Maybe you wanted to have other people alongside you so you had someone to talk to or bounce ideas off of. Well, have I got news for you!
Did you know that November is National Novel Writing Month? Yes, this is a real thing. Not only is it real but it is also awesome. National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo is an online writing event that challenges the participants to write a 50,000-word novel in 30 days. So essentially, 1,667 words per day on average.
Pro’s to participating in #NaNoWriMo:
- You’ll finish that novel that you: a) have always wanted to write b) have been writing for years c) literally think of the day November starts
- You’ll have constant support for 30 days! There are thousands of other people that will also be taking part in this challenge, so there are lots of opportunities to make new friends and writing buddies!
- There will be “write-ins” in North Bay! Check out the FaceBook group to stay in the loop on local events Here
- If you “win” (winning= hitting 50k in the 30-day timeframe) there are TONS of cool prizes to choose from!
- You have a great excuse to get out of any parties or get-togethers that you don’t want to attend.
- You also have an excuse to consume copious amounts of caffeine and snacks.
Con’s to #NaNoWriMo:
- NaNo can be super overwhelming and time-consuming if you don’t manage your time well! Check out some of these posts to find some tips & tricks for surviving NaNo!
- Jessi Elliot recently posted a YouTube video all about getting prepped for Preptober! You can watch it here!
- Lindsay Bilgram posted about her plans for week one of NaNo which can give you an idea of where to start if you are completely lost! Read it here!
- Kristen Martin also posted a video about Preptober and getting ready for NaNoWriMo. Watch it here!
- There are TONS of NaNo related blog posts and YouTube videos out there so do some research if you want to learn more
- You will probably not have a social life for the month. Let your friends and family know that your November is going to be crazy busy and tell them that you are busy working away on your soon to be NYT Bestselling novel (hey, we can dream, right? )
If you are interested in participating be sure to check out the official website to learn more and to sign up! Registration is free!
Click here to add me as a writing buddy on the NaNo site! I can help you navigate the ropes and prepare for your epic writing journey!
Okay, so now that you are utterly convinced that you have to participate in NaNoWriMo, be sure to go out and stock up on caffeine and snacks!