Meet new people
Getting involved on campus is the easiest way to feel at home, get to know people and have an awesome experience at University.
Nipissing University Student Union (NUSU)
As a student at Nipissing you will automatically be a member of the Nipissing University Student Union – a membership that provides you with access to a Student Health Insurance Plan, an elected union representative, Frosh Week events (as well as a full range of other events), an on-campus food bank, and other valuable benefits.
Check out some of the events NUSU puts on throughout the year:
- Frosh Week: Welcome to the next chapter of your life, University, and we’ve got a week of festivities to help kick it off. Frosh week will help introduce you to Nipissing University, North Bay and all the new friends you’ll be meeting. Some of the different activities include: the muddy olympics, movie nights, a boat cruise, special guest speakers and live bands.
- Shinerama: Be a part of Shinerama, Canada’s largest post-secondary school fundraising event – all proceeds go to Cystic Fibrosis. To get involved all you need to do is grab a cloth and shine on.
- Club Days: Your opportunity to check out all of the clubs that are available on campus. Feel free to join an existing club or start your very own! Clubs are a great way to meet others who have similar interests as yourself.
- Frostbite: This winter carnival takes place in January and is a great way to enjoy and embrace the winter with fun activities and some good old competition.
- Lakers Sporting Events/Lakers Hockey Games: Come show your Laker pride by attending a game! Be loud and dress proud – make sure to dress in blue, green and white to show your support. Buses will leave from residence for all students throughout the year.
- Services: Student Health Insurance Plan, on-campus photocopying and faxes, on-campus food bank, as well as many other services.
It’s easy to stay active
Nipissing University is located on an outdoor wonderland complete with 20 km of hiking trails and a natural waterfall right on campus. Whether you are a gym enthusiast or weekend warrior, Nipissing has just what you need. Oh, and put your wallet away because access to the R.J. Surtees Student Athletics Centre is included in your student fees! Our facilities feature:
Our newly expanded R.J. Surtees Athletic Centre:
- 3 gymnasiums
- 2 international squash courts
- fitness centre (see schedule for classes)
- cardio studio
- weight room
Our state-of-the-art Harris Learning Library:
- expanded print collections
- study, classroom and social spaces
- collaborative workrooms, group instruction rooms, and adaptive technology rooms
Nipissing is also conveniently located close to:
- YMCA (with pool)
- a ski and snowboarding hill
- biking path & walking trails
- several public beaches ideal for swimming and canoeing
There are also many activities on campus – check out the varsity and intramural sports available as well as the various clubs and organizations.
We love our campus community
Our main campus is located in the beautiful City of North Bay. From the moment you step on campus you will feel at home! Check out the City’s website to get an idea of what there is to see and do in North Bay: www.cityofnorthbay.ca
To make getting around a breeze, a City of North Bay transit pass is included in all full-time student incidental fees. For more detailed information visit www.cityofnorthbay.ca/cityhall/department/transit-and-parabus/